Monday, October 22, 2012

How to make your own Nyan Cat using free tools

By Riley Hulick
This article is Windows-friendly. Most of the software exists in some form for Mac and Linux, but FormatFactory serves as a bit of a hitch for our non-Microsoft friends. I'm looking into alternatives for your behalf, but please be patient as I am picky, therefore it may take some time.

  • Update (10/27/12): I have high hopes for an online video-converter called Zamzar to be the solution to the platform problem. I've sent them a feature request, and they are looking into it.

This article also requires basic computer literacy. You’ll have to know how to use a computer’s file system, how to download and install applications, and how to use drop-down menus and dialogues. Don’t panic. I’ll walk you through it.



The purpose of a meme is to be passed along. Elaborated. Expounded. Image macros get passed along a great deal, with plenty of variation, because they’re easy to work with. Some memes, such as Nyan Cat, are harder to work with, and so we see fewer variations, usually made by only the most skilled people with the best tools.
Well, it doesn’t have to be that way. I’ve spent weeks putting together this article so I can show you how to make your own brand new and completely original Nyan Cat, by yourself, all for free.

(Click on the commentary link to see the rest of the article)




Overview

This article is going to go over how to make a parody of the Nyan Cat animation using GIMP, how to make a parody of the “Nyanyanyanyanya!” song using UTAU and Audacity, and how to put them together into a video using FormatFactory and Windows Live Movie Maker. Sometime in the future, I hope to make this more platform-independent (so it will work in case you use a Mac or Linux), but don’t let that make you give up on this.

I also plan to add a small section on how to use MuseScore to compose your own backing track. In the meantime, feel free to explore the MuseScore website (http://musescore.org/).

In fact, explore everything. Play around. While in many parts this article is written in the form step-by-step instructions, it is not a hard-fast set of rules. If you think of something you want to try that I didn’t suggest, go for it. Then tell me about it. I’m in the interest of improving this article to help everyone better. My email address is rileyhulick@gmail.com. Also appreciated are suggestions on how to improve my writing, testimonials and links to where I can find videos and GIFs that you made (because I’ll share them if you want me to), and any technical problems with the process I’ve set out (after all, I was only able to test this on my computer; it might not work the same for you.).

A note concerning using other peoples’ work

Copyright is one of the most horrible wonderful things ever created. In my mind (and I’m not alone in this philosophy), it is a good idea poorly executed and far behind the times. Because these are the rules of the game, though, they’re what we have to play by. This article is to teach you how to make a parody of a well-established meme. Parody is protected speech, and a meme is what happens when plagiarism grows so rapidly that it’s impossible to contain, and most people stop trying. In both cases, you’re pretty much safe from the copyright monsters.
However, it’s still polite to give a nod to people whose work you use. Creators put a lot of effort and love into the things they make, and they deserve to be given credit, possibly with a link back to their website. Plus, some of them (though I think it’s foolish) strictly forbid any unauthorized use of their work. Ask permission where you can, give credit where you can’t.

Step 1: What the nyan am I even doing?

Take a few minutes to decide some of the specifics of the project. You don’t have to figure out everything before you start, and you’re entitled to maneuver and change things around as you start working, but let’s get a general idea of which way we’re going.
My last two Nyan Cat parodies have been of Pokémon. These have earned a modest amount of popularity, so I will continue on the idea. In this article, I will make a Nyan Charmander.
My last two Nyan Cat parodies have also been YouTube videos. The alternative to making a video, as I see it, is making a never-ending website, which I don’t really know how to do. Let me know if this is something you’re interested in, because I’ll do research on that if need be. As for this project, I will also make it into a video.
I also don’t want to make it too obnoxiously long. Some people have demanded 10-hour versions of my videos (and I could make them) but they’re a pain to work with. For the sake of simplicity, I will make this Nyan Charmander video only a minute long.
And, because I like my parodies to really stand out, I will remix the song for the sake of the video, not just the animation.
If you want some ideas, try checking out the different flavors at nyan.cat.

Step 2: Downloads

Exercise caution. Viruses exist. Make sure that when you download, you are downloading the file you want. I can vouch for these programs and files, and the sites that they can be found on, but be careful when navigating around ads or through insterstitals.
There are four programs that you'll need to download in order to make a Nyan Cat parody.
There are also a few resource files you'll need to download.

Step 3: Animation

If you don't want to make your own animation, there's nothing for you here. Skip ahead to Step 2½.
If you've got all the files you need, then the next step is to start on the animation. There are three popular styles of parody for the animation: You can recolor the cat, replace the head (and sometimes the tail), or replace the whole cat. I'll show you the ropes for all three, though I prefer the second style.
Open GIMP.

Recoloring the Cat

The first idea, to recolor the cat, is usually the easiest, but even that can become an elaborate project if you want. You can add all kinds of decorations and colors, but I'm going to keep mine as simple as possible. Download the original animation by PRGuitarMan, and open it in GIMP. This animation has been optimized, which makes is easier to play, but harder to work with, so the first thing you're going to want to do is unoptomize it. Go to Filters ► Animation ► Unoptomize. Sometimes this can take a lot of time. Now is probably not one of those times.




Next, let's acquaint ourselves with the tools GIMP has to offer. If you've ever worked with Photoshop, or even MS Paint, these ought to look somewhat familiar. Your favorite tool right now will be the paint bucket, so go ahead and select it.




You'll want to choose a few colors for your cat. Conventionally, four are used: one for the fur, one for the pastry, one for the frosting and blush, and one for the sprinkles. Since Charmander has a yellowish belly and an orangeish body, I'll keep those colors, and since I don't want to do a whole lot of work, I'll make the sprinkles and pastry the same color, and the 'fur' and frosting the same color. Frosting will be orange and pastry will be yellow.




Click on the color box (yours will probably be black) and in the window that comes up, adjust the sliders until you get the first color you want. This is an animated GIF, which means that it can only use colors that are in its index, so we're going to need to add your new color to the index (or you can remove the index; see Replacing the Head). Go to Window ► Dockable Dialogues ► Colormap. If you've already found the color you want, then hit the plus sign button. I'll only need to do this with the light yellowish color for the pastry and sprinkles, since the colormap already has a nice orange color on it.



Before using the paint bucket, make sure that on the bottom part of the toolbox, under “Affected Area” you have “Fill Similar Colors” selected. Every frame of animation appears as a layer, so use the paint bucket to fill in colors on the picture, then hide the current frame and select the next one. I often forget to do both, and it usually doesn't end up well.




Once you've changed the colors to your liking, you can preview the animation by going to Filters ► Animation ► Playback, then pressing the play button in the window that opens up. If you like it, and are ready to export it, then optimize it by going to Filters ► Animation ► Optomize (for GIF). Next, go to File ► Save As... and name the file. Make sure to put a .gif at the end of the filename, or it will save in the generally useless .xcf GIMP project type.
When you save as a .gif, it will gripe about layers and transparency, then ask if you want to flatten the image or save as an animation. Save it as an animation. There won't be anything in particular you'll want to change on the page that opens up, so hit okay. And you're done.



Replacing the head

Okay, so honestly, that doesn't look a thing like Charmander. Two of the most recognizable features of Charmander are its head and tail, so let's give it those. If you're artistic, then you can draw your own. Consider the option of drawing the head in the actual Nyan Cat style. If you're not artistic (or, like in my case, just lazy) you can get what you need off the internet. I like this classic look here, so I'm going to download it.



I'm going to make a decision right here. Charmander's tail is similar enough to Nyan Cat's tail, that I'm just going to draw a flame at the end of the Nyan Cat's tail, instead of trying to suture in a new one. Making the tail look good requires some basic animation techniques, which is not something I care to discuss here. I'll digress enough as it is.
That means I'll download and work with the “noheadx.gif” file, instead of “notailx.gif”. I made these to be used by animators. They are not optmizied, so you don't have to worry about that. They are however color indexed, (I couldn't really avoid it; you'll see why) which can cause some snags. In Recoloring the Cat, I had you add colors to the index, because it can make it easier in some ways, and certainly helps to keep things tidy. Here, though, we're going to do away with the index altogether. This will let us avoid a couple of problems. You're tough, right. I think you can handle it.
Click on Image ► Mode ► RGB. Oh yeah, that was kinda easy.



Now, it's not unheard of to recolor the pastry at this point. I don't care to do that. However, I am in the interest of recoloring the legs and tail. I want them to be the same color as the head I chose, so I'll take a sample off of that.



Next, I'm going to do the fire on the tail. This is more of a creative process, so these aren't exactly step-by-step instructions. Rather, this is just a demonstration to show you how I did it. Don't worry, there will be plenty of exhaustive step-by-step instructions later.
Fire, in the Pokémon anime is very simplistic red and yellow. I'm keeping that look, plus it makes it easy to draw, so I'm going to do that. Again, this isn't an article about the techniques of animation, so I'm not going to go over all of that. Suffice it to say that I drew fire on each frame.



The next logical step is to add the head. The little red x on the bottom-right corner of the poptart indicates where the head goes and how it moves. You're welcome.
But before we can glue it on, we need to get it ready. I flipped mine horizontally, isolated the head, put it on a transparent background, pixelized it (for style), heightened contrast, and resized it.



Putting it on the animation is a simple matter of copy and paste. Pick a point on the face to align with the x, so it's analogous on every frame. Pasting can be tricky for newcomers to GIMP. Basically, when you paste, it will create a “floating layer” that will merge with the top visible layer when you click outside of the selection.
Now it's ready to be optimized and exported. This time, since it's not color-indexed, it will mention that it'll have to generate a color index, but you don't have to mess with that. Once you've done that, you're good. It's finished!
I like that. It's a little clumsier than it could be, but I say it's done. This is the animation I'll use in the video.



Replacing the cat

This style is something I've seen here and there.
It can in some cases become the most elaborate and detailed style of parody if you put the effort in to animate it yourself; but in its cheapest form (which is what I've produced), you simply find an animated .gif somewhere on the internet, and copy it frame by frame onto the blank space rainbow. Protip: make sure you're in RGB mode.
Using an animation posted by apflood41, mine looks like this:




Step 3½: What if I don't want to make my own animation

If you made your own animation, there's nothing for you here. Skip ahead to Step 3.
As an alternative to doing the animation yourself, you can always try using the original version.
Good parodies that other people have made can be found (with a little digging) at http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nyan-cat-pop-tart-cat/photos/ or https://www.google.com/search?q=nyan+cat+parodies+gif&rlz=1C1CHMZ_enUS486US486&aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D5&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=8gptUK-aE8m7iwKT4oGAAQ&biw=1024&bih=475&sei=9QptUOzhNcHviQLl34HgAg.

Step 4: Mixing your own song

If you don't want to mix your own song, there's nothing for you here. Skip ahead to Step 3½.
To make your own song you'll use UTAU and Audacity. UTAU will allow you to repeat, time, and tune a sound effect into vocals for the song, and Audacity will let you mix it with the music. But before you can do that, you'll need to get the sound effect. We’ll use Audacity for that, too.
In my case, the sound effect will be the syllables “char,” “man,” and “der,” said in charmander's voice. I'll be honest. Sound effects can be hard to find, and might require some inventiveness. Possibly the best source for sound effects is YouTube.
You'll want your sound effect to have little or no music, you’ll want it to be well-enunciated (or else it starts to sound like gibberish), and you’ll want it to have a minimum of microphone noise (like blowing, popping, or distortion). Sometimes, you’ll be able to find clips from movies, games, or shows with the sound effects in them, but I find these often have too much music.
A better way of getting the sound effects is by looking for impersonators. Most character voices, (especially from very popular franchises like Pokémon) have been impersonated very well somewhere on YouTube. A few strategic searches, (use keywords like “voice” “impression” “impersonation”) and you may just find the perfect video for your purposes.
For my Nyan Charmander, I used the charmander impersonation from BrizzyVoices's (http://www.youtube.com/brizzyvoices) recently-viral “Voice ALL the Original Pokemon!!” video (http://youtu.be/OENj7Z-afhY).



I asked Brizzy’s permission. She liked the idea, and asked me to include a link to her channel. This is not an unreasonable or uncommon request, plus it provides a source to you (my readers) for some really good sound effects you could try. I recommend you ask permission when you find your sound effects, and include links to the voice impersonator’s channel, even if they don’t ask for it.
Next step, rip the sound effect. There are two ways to do this, both with Audacity, but one takes a little longer than the other. Obviously, I want you to do the faster way, but not every computer is built for it.
Let's get started.
Open Audacity.
The faster way is to record off of your computer's speakers. In the top-right portion of the screen, there will be a drop-down box with the icon of a microphone next to it. Click on it. The items on the list are the recording devices that are on your computer. The one you want might be called “Stereo Mix,” “Wave Out,” “Sum,” “What U Hear,” or “Loopback.”




I have Stereo Mix (or one of its aliases)

If you see the device, then select it. Now, when you hit the big red record button, Audacity will record everything that plays over your speakers. Open the video you want to rip the sound effect from, skip to a little before where the sound effect occurs, then record it. (If you run Skype, then make sure to switch out of this and back to your microphone when you’re done. It can be really weird for the people you talk to.)

I don’t have Stereo Mix (or one of its aliases)

If you don't see the device, then that's unfortunate. It happened to me when I updated my operating system, but I was able to fix the problem. Depending on your computer, you may be able, and you may not be able to. Read through these links for help troubleshooting:
If that doesn't work, or you simply don't have time to dig through that pile of techno mumbo-jumbo, then there's another, slower way to get the sound effects off of the video. Copy the URL of the video, then go to http://www.youtube-mp3.org/, and paste it in the box. It will process for a moment, then offer you a link that you can use to download an mp3 file of the audio from the entire video.



Now, sometimes you'll encounter a video that youtube-mp3.org cannot convert because of some kind of legal conflict. If this happens to you, then go to http://www.listentoyoutube.com/ and do the same thing there. I don't like Listen to YouTube as much, because they have a lot more ads, and their servers used to lock up a lot. Whether you use YouTube mp3 or Listen To YouTube, locate the mp3 file you downloaded and open it in Audacity.




I have the sound effect open in Audacity. Now what?

Make sure the project rate is set to 44100hz. Select 44100 from the drop-down in the bottom-left corner. Using the selection tool, select the first syllable of the sound. Get the selection as close against the ends of the syllable as you can, without clipping any sound off. Then, select File ► Export Selection... which will open a sort of save-as dialogue. Name it as the syllable, and make sure it's a .wav file. Repeat this for any other syllables you want.



Now, we need to make an UTAU voice bank. Open the Documents folder, and make a new folder in it. Name it after the character voice (in my case, it's called 'Charmander') and copy into it the .wav file(s) you just made. You can put this folder in another 'UTAU voices' folder, if you like to be neat and tidy.
Open UTAU. You may get a number of incomprehensible messages, but you can ignore them and hit the button that looks most like an okay button. Select Tools ► Option, and switch to the Bank Registration tab. Click the select button near the bottom-right. This will bring up an open file dialogue. Select 'All Files (*.*)' from the drop-down that says 'wav File (*.wav)' (for whatever reason it won't work otherwise. Then, find the voice bank folder that you just made, and select one of the files in it (it doesn't matter which file. Click 'Open' which will return you to the Option menu, then click 'Add.'







Next, import into UTAU the MIDI file I listed in the downloads (the one that's important for you to have if you're mixing your own song – not the one by Paul Soh). Do this by selecting File ► Import... then find the MIDI file and open it. If it asks about saving, don't worry about it. If you get this dialogue (which is just asking about potentially missing sound files in one of your banks), then hit the check-box and the button in the middle (which tells UTAU “I know, don't bother me about it anymore”). When you get this dialogue, select “2:Staff” and hit OK.






Now, open your new voice bank by clicking on the name of the current bank near the top-left corner (it might be called “default”, “uta”, or in my case “□f□t□H□□□g”. This will bring up the Project Configurations dialogue, where you can select your new voice bank from the drop-down in the middle. Hit OK.






Next, we're going to generate frequency maps for the sound effects in the voice bank. Select Tools ► Voice Bank Settings... to bring up the Voice Configurations dialogue. Select the first syllable, then hit the “Initialize freq. map” button. On the dialogue that comes up, click 'OK'. It will open a console window with a bunch of numbers that don't really mean anything important to you. It will work for a few moments (as long as a minute if you're using really long sound effects), and when it's done the console window will close. Repeat this for each sound effect in the voice bank, and hit 'OK' to close the Voice Configuration dialogue.



Now we're ready to start synthesizing. You've already imported the MIDI, so there should be a bunch of blue (maybe some of them are pink) rectangles on your screen. If you've worked with MIDI before, you might recognize these as notes. Use your mouse to select the first 26 (all of the ones in the first two measures, plus one after that). On your keyboard hit 'Shift' and 'Delete'. Those notes are just the cutesy jingle and aren't going to be sung. Now, hit 'Ctrl' and 'A' on your keyboard to select all of the notes. Then, click on the tempo box near the top-left corner, type '147.02' into the dialogue that comes up, and hit 'OK'.





Now, save the project. Name it whatever you want and put it somewhere where you'll be able to keep track of it (and possibly delete it after you're done, since these projects tend to take up a bit of space.) Save your file frequently.
Double-click on the first blue square and type your first syllable. Then hit 'Enter' on your keyboard or click outside of the box. Single-click on it to select it and hit the play button top-center. A console window will come up kinda like when you rendered your voice maps. The numbers will move around a lot faster, and when it's done, it will play the sound of the first syllable.



Make sure that it sounds right. If it's drastically too low or too high, you can adjust the octave by selecting all the notes ('Ctrl' and 'A' on the keyboard), and opening Edit ► Move Region By Number... If you want it to be higher, then type '12' in the dialogue that appears. If you want it to be lower, type '-12'. This will shift it by an octave. You don't want to shift it by anything other than an octave because then it wouldn't sound good with the backing track.



Now, fill in the rest of the notes with syllables. If you only have one syllable, then your job is going to be pretty easy, but since I've got three, I'll have to alternate them randomly as I go. Protip: this song repeats itself almost exactly in two places. Be friendly with your copy and paste buttons.
When you're done, save. Then, select all and hit the play button. It may take a couple of minutes to render, but then you'll get to hear the whole song.
If you want to make it a little more realistic-sounding, you can select Tools ► Built-in Tools ► A LA CARTE (M)... which will bring up a dialogue with a bunch of options on it. Switch 'Note Change' to 'Fast', and un-check 'Add Vibrato!'. Then press 'All' to apply the settings to everything. Click 'OK' on the next dialogue. This will give the notes a more natural pitch-curve.




Save the project again. Now, to export the audio as a .wav file, select Project ► Render wav File... and save the file somewhere where you can find it again.




Now, go ahead and close out of UTAU, and (in case you don't already have it open) open Audacity. Import the backing track you downloaded as well as the vocal track you just made by selecting File ► Import ► Audio... then open the respective files.





There is some excess audio. I don't much care for the three pops at the beginning, and as I said this is only going to be a 1-minute video, so I'll just chop off everything I don't want. With the selection tool, click and drag along the audio to select a portion, then hit the delete key.



Next, we'll align the vocal track so it matches the backing track. Choose the time-shift tool, and move the vocal track to match with the point of the song where vocals come in (8.965 seconds, if you don't cut off the pops). Since the backing track is very loud by itself, you'll want to use the gain slider to make it quieter. You'll want to adjust it based on your own preferences, and how loud the vocal track you generated was, but for now, set it to -12dB.







In spite of my attempts to make everything exact, the timing is still off by a smidge. It's too small to fix by adjusting the tempo in UTAU (believe me, I tried), but it's big enough that if left unchecked, and the audio is repeated, it will make every repetition sound like crap. Not to worry, though, here's how you fix it:
Go to the end of the audio on the vocal track, and select the very end. Choose Generate ► Silence... then right-click on the numbers, and select the display mode 'hh:mm:ss + milliseconds'. Enter 0.047 seconds, and hit 'OK'. To make your life easier, click on the black divider line to merge the silence to the rest of the audio. Now you can select all the audio on the vocal track and repeat it as many times as you need, and things will line up just right.





Since my backing track is only a minute long, I'll only need to repeat the vocals once. If you want to make a longer song, then you can go ahead and do that. To repeat audio, you can use copy and paste, but I like to use Effects ► Repeat... Type in the number of times you want to repeat, and hit 'OK'.
There are other fancy tricks you can pull in Audacity to make it sound nice, like equalization and reverb, but the only things you really have to do now are to fade out the end, then export it. If you want to learn about other tricks, you can read these articles:
Make sure that you trim off any excess audio from the repeat. Then, select a few seconds on the end (make sure to select all tracks), and choose Effects ► Fade Out. That will make the sound grow quieter until it's silent, which is the best way to wrap up a looping song like this.




Finally, we'll export the file. Make any final adjustments to gain/volume, and listen to it to make sure you like it. After that, go ahead and choose File ► Export... then save it somewhere you can find it later, and you're done with the song.



Listen for yourself: Here is the finished mp3, as well as the unmixed WAV from UTAU:
 

Step 4½: What if I don't want to mix my own song?

If you mixed your own song, there's nothing for you here. Skip ahead to Step 4.
Well, I hope you made your own animation — or at least are trying to be ironic by doing so much work to put together two things other people made.
If you don't want to mix your own song, then you'll use the original song, or else one that someone else made. Download it, then open it in Audacity, and trim and fade it to the desired length. (Peruse step 4 for instructions on how to do that).
Keep in mind that you don’t even have to use the Nyan Cat song.

Step 5: Putting the video and the song together

There is simply no cross-platform way to do this.
In spite of the fact that GIFs have been animated for nearly twenty years now, there is very little support for them as a video format. Until VLC supports it, (or Zamzar), this section will likely remain generally platform biased.
And by that, I mean it's Windows biased. FormatFactory is the most effective tool I've found for the task and it only runs on Windows.
If you do not use Windows, then you're somewhat on your own. Other free programs that I have not tested are likely capable of doing this step. What you need is something to convert a .GIF to a useable video format (like .AVI or .MOV). Then you'll need something (preferably a video editor) to loop the video clip to music, and export it as a video format. I expect VLMC will one day be the ideal tool for both tasks, but it is currently not stable and does not support .GIF format. Until it does, you'll just have to experiment a little. Be cautious.
If/when you find something that works for you, please let me know about it.

Onward! I use Windows

As I was saying, though, FormatFactory will be capable of working for you if you're running Windows. Open FormatFactory, click the “Video” drop-down on the left, and click the “All to AVI” button. In the window that comes up, click on “Add File,” and select the .GIF file you made. Next, hit “OK.” This will take you back to the queue page. Hit “Start” at the top. It may take a few seconds to get started, but shouldn't take long to finish.





You are using Windows, which means you'll have Windows Live Movie Maker (or Windows Movie Maker, if your system is older). There is a way to use FormatFactory to loop the video to music, but it's hard to do, and low quality. Why bother?
Open Windows Live Movie Maker, and click on the Add Videos and Photos button. Find the video file that FormatFactory created. By default, it will be in a folder called “FFOutput,” which will be in your “Documents” folder.




There is a little bit of tail lag when FormatFactory converts the video, so to make it repeat correctly, we need to cut off the end a bit. Once the video has appeared on the right, navigate to about 0.89 seconds (using the slider and the nudge buttons) and hit the Set End Trim Point button.




Now, hit the Add Music button. Find the .MP3 file that you made in Audacity, select it, and add it to the video.




Optional step: This is more of a stylistic thing, so it better matches other Nyan Cat videos. Download the image “black.png” (or make your own in paint; it’s literally just a solid black picture) and add it to the video. Click on it and drag it so it’s before the Nyan Cat video. Then, click on the Edit tab under Video Tools and adjust the duration so it’s as long as the intro of the song before the vocals start. Since I trimmed some off of the intro of my song, this image is only going to be about 6.50 seconds; but if you didn’t trim it, then it will be at about 8.95 seconds (or just 9.0 to make things easy).




Next, we’ll want to repeat the video so it lasts the duration of the song. Select it, and copy it (Ctrl + C). Then, paste it ten times (Ctrl + V). Select the eleven copies of your animation, and copy again. This selection is about ten seconds long, so paste it for every additional ten seconds you need in order to fill the song. If you go over, then just delete the clips that stick out beyond the green line.
When that’s done, click on the Home tab then the Save Movie button. This will put it together into a nice video for you.




Step 6: Share with the world!

The final step is to share your creation with the world. The most popular means of doing so is to upload it to YouTube (click here to sign up for a YouTube account), but you’re by no means limited to that. There are hundreds of thousands of venues for uploading not only videos, but animated GIFs and mp3s! You’ve just made something awesome, so don’t be shy about spreading it around.
Now, as a favor, I ask that you include the following text in the description of your video or GIF:
I made this using free tools. Learn to make your own at http://tinyurl.com/howtonyan
And there you go! If you have any ideas on how I can improve this article, again, you can email me at rileyhulick@gmail.com.
Here’s mine:

:3



...
tl;dr

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for this guide! It works.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i0DpXHd-Sw

    It's a pencil case. Don't ask why. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only problem was for me, I found no way to add a .gif with transparent background (for example the head of your Charmander or my pic of a pencil case) into (over) the nyan-animation with gimp. If you only copy it into the animation it loses its transparency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you copy it straight off the web, it will lose transparency. That's just how the image clipboard works on Windows computers. If transparency is important, then the best thing to do is save it (.png is great for transparency) and then import it as a layer in GIMP.

      Glad it worked out for you, hope you had fun making it :)

      Delete
  3. Amazing tutorial, i had made my own version of it and i'm very happy with it, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help. I'd like to see yours, if at all possible.

      Delete
  4. it is beautiful i liked it do u have other tutorials for game animating in photoshop pl

    ReplyDelete
  5. i tried to paste it and it wont show up on every frame. i keep trying but its not working.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not understand how to put my animated file (exp. Bill Cipher) over the no-cat GIF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Problem is that GIMP won't work or something...I'm confused. I go to the video and go to gimp but it's not the same thing you probably can't do it any more ;-;

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi guys. I have a youtube channel myself on my tablet. It's not popular at all. It only has 4 subs so SUB TO MY CHANNEL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kyle Barton & SansMay 10, 2017 at 5:43 PM

    But where is Sans? (1 hour later) O- BOO! Don't scare me like that Sans! O- No matter what *you* are going to say, NO SANS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Pikachu one <3

    ReplyDelete