Monday, July 30, 2012

But what am I supposed to do with my life?

EV # 40 "But what am I supposed to do with my life?"
~Riley
Is this familiar to you? It is to me.
This is a phenomenon I have experienced several times this summer. Sometime last month, I finished watching every episode of The Guild to date (apparently little progress has been made on Season 6). About two weeks ago, I learned about what-if.xkcd.com, though there were only three entries at that point. Then, yesterday, I finished every Order of the Stick. (There was also a similar effect at the season finale of the Legend or Korra, but not exactly the same.)
It's such a shock going from a nonstop binge of awesomeness to having to wait for a particular day of the week to get a sip. If anyone has recently discovered EV, gone through the archives, and is now in the same situation, I apologize sincerely. You can't even count on a day of the week with me. (Hence Rax says "hint.")
I've been toying with a similar idea for a while now -- the depression that ensues after the completion of a series (I finished Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood) However, I just couldn't figure a good way to word it. It was getting a little clunky and I was becoming dispassionate, so I threw pretty much the whole thing together today.
Now, you can see Rax is holding a book.
Rax needed to be present in the scene. I didn't want to complicate the whole matter by having him digging in the fridge or something -- that's just a lot more drawing. I considered having him on his own computer, possibly visiting the EV website and making a more direct jab at my bad upload habits, but I couldn't find natural-looking a way to indicate that, plus two computers on the table looked a little awkward.
I decided the simplest solution was to give him a book, but what book? I didn't feel much like making it a blank book, that's not really my style. I looked over some Pokémon puns in famous book titles, but they were all terrible ("Catcher in the Raichu"? I mean, really?) . Finally, a particular title sprang to mind that I felt was perfect.



The Dynamics of Interbeing and Monological Imperatives in Dick and Jane: A Study in Psychic Transrelational Gender Modes.

That's a bit of Watterson, there. In Calvin and Hobbes, Calvin writes a book report under this title.

Transcription:
Jesi: "End of the archives?"

"You mean I have to wait for weekly updates like the rest of the suckers?!"
Rax: "Hey. At least the guy has a weekly schedule. (hint.)"

No comments:

Post a Comment