Thursday, July 19, 2012

(Almost) Everything Sounds Epic in Japanese.

EV # 38 "(Almost) Everything Sounds Epic in Japanese."

~Riley
I am learning Japanese. It is hard.

I admit that I overestimated my ability to learn Japanese, after having had such ease with learning French. Suffice it to say that learning three additional alphabets, all with many more letters than this one, may slow me down a tad.

Just a tad. I haven't stopped being arrogantly overconfident in my abilities. Besides, I never watched French cartoons while learning their language. :P

Now, I'll say now that this comic is a bit inaccurate. I find, when asked to say something in a foreign language, most people don't know what to say. 'Hi, nice to meet you' (see transcription) usually doesn't come to mind. In fact, a quick-thinking linguist usually just counts to ten. They'll have had a lot of practice saying that, and most people don't know the difference.

As far as drawing stuff, I played with border height, and did a multi-panel bubble here. Also, I had fun time making Japanese characters into a messy heap.

This is my first comic in a while -- and the first one that uses new material in some time. I'll be trying to keep up with regular posts.

Transcription:
Sandy: "So, I heard you're learning Japanese."
Alek: "Yeah?"
Sandy: Well, c'mon! Let's hear what you got!"

Alek:"Ummm... こんにちは。始めまして✶✷✸✹...gonna shut up now."*
Sandy: "Good idea."


* "こんにちは。始めまして。" = "Konnichiwa. Hajimemashite." = "Hello. Nice to meet you." There, you've just had your first Japanese lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment